You’ve probably heard of “Dump Cake” or “Cake Mix Cobbler”. It’s where you take dry cake mix, canned pie filling and butter and turn it into a delicious cobbler-esque dessert. I wanted to do a spin on this, one that would be fun to make, easy to take and is a good way to use berries that are on their way out. I am going to be co-hosting a beach barbecue in Redondo Beach at our friends, Steve and Jeff’s house for Independence Day. I LOVE gathering at their home! It’s a block off of the beach but that’s not the best part… THEY are the best part. Such gracious hosts with generous and sincere hearts. They are SO good to us, I am lucky to have met such a lovely couple down here in the LA! A bunch of my favorite people will be there including a grip of kiddos. We are staying over to avoid
traffic sobriety, so all bets are off!
I’m going to make these mini cobblers in 4oz mason jars. This will look adorable, will be easily transportable and is a nice little serving size. It’s even an ideal take along dessert for your kids lunch if you feel like sending a special treat!
You will need the following:
* 12-4oz mason jars with lids and rings
* 1 White cake mix
* 2 cups chopped berries
* 1 cup sugar
* 2 tsp vanilla
* 2 tblsp cornstarch
* 1 stick salted butter
1. Toss fruit and corn starch in a bowl until the fruit is coated evenly.
2. Place fruit, sugar and vanilla in a medium sized sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Let simmer, stirring frequently. Once it begins to thicken, remove from heat and allow to cool.
3. Arrange mason jars on a foil lined cookie sheet and give them a spray with your favorite non-stick spray.
4. Fill jars 1/3 full with dry cake mix.
5. Spoon 3-4 tblsp fruit filling on top of dry mix.
6. Top off with more dry mix leaving about 1/4 inch from the rim of the jar.
7. drizzle melted butter over each cobbler and place on middle rack of oven. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
Once your cobblerettes are completely cool, place lids and rings and you’re ready to roll! You can store these in the fridge for a week or the freezer for up to a month. If you freeze them, allow them to defrost over night in the fridge to keep them from getting gummy. Enjoy!