If you follow me, you may have noticed that I really enjoy an upside down cake… I’ve done fig, apricot, kumquat and now plum! There is something so amazing about that brown sugar and butter melding with the fruit and seeping up into that cake! I can’t even deal with this! Plums were a natural with their tart skins and bright tasting flesh. They are also a bit nostalgic as a spin on a “classic” and they always remind me of my brother. He LOVES an upside down cake! I kinda “cheat” when it comes to my cakes. A wise woman once said “Betty Crocker spent all that time putting the dry ingredients in a box so we could spend our time on other things”. Yaaaaassssss, Grandma! You always knew what was up! So, I use a yellow cake mix. I do however, replace the oil with a stick of butter 🙂 Feel free to go the distance and make your cake from scratch, I bow to you. If you’ve got a busy schedule, do it my way. It’s what works for you that matters and fuck anyone who disagrees!
You will need the following:
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 2 sticks of salted butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 medium sized plums, sliced in wedges
- Make the cake mix according to package directions BUT instead of oil, use a stick of softened butter. You’re welcome!
- In a 12″ cast iron skillet, heat the other stick of butter and brown sugar until melted together and bubbling. The mixture will look a little foamy. Remove from heat.
- Add the plum wedges in concentric circles. You can make a pattern or just fit them all in. Whatever suits you.
- Slowly pour the cake batter over the plums and sugar mixture. Smooth the surface and place into a 350 degree oven for 35-45 minutes. The cake should spring back when you touch it.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes but while it’s still hot, run a knife around the edge to loosen the cake from the skillet and carefully turn it out onto a platter or cake plate by placing the serving plate over the skillet and flipping both, together in one fluid motion. BE CAREFUL!
Serve immediately, or wait… I mean, if you’re one of those bitches who has self control n’ shit, more power to ya! Swearing Mom out.