Yes… It’s Fat Tuesday and what is more appropriate than salted caramel? I’ll tell you, it’s BACON! These decadent bars will knock the socks off of your guests and will be gone as soon as they hit the plate! The perfect combo of salty/sweet and crunchy/chewy! I cut them relatively small because they are so rich. I found that three bite sized was perfect!
You will need the following:
For the crust
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
For the topping
- Use THIS recipe for your caramel sauce. heat it slightly in the microwave and add 4 Tbsp all purpose flour. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- 6 strips bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (you may use a hand mixer) add butter and sugar and beat until combined and creamy.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until a dough has formed.
- Press into a parchment lined 9×13 baking dish (be sure to allow your parchment to overlap, creating a sling for easy removal) and bake in a 325 degree oven for 15-18 minutes or until golden.
- Allow the crust to cool completely. Top with caramel sauce that’s been heated slightly for easier spreading. Sprinkle crumbled bacon evenly over the top and refrigerate for several hours or over night.
- Remove from pan, parchment paper and all, cut into strips and then into bar shapes or triangles.
Keep cold until ready to serve and enjoy! Doesn’t get much more decadent than this! Swearing Mom out.