There are few things in this world that The Rockstar enjoys more than hot sauce and saving a buck. So, what better theme to set the tone for his Valentine dinner! I decided to go Asian, another of his favorites, and do a play on Orange Chicken. There’s something about the crisp of the breaded chicken that has been perfectly sauced over rice. The end result was a subtly sweet and spicy, slightly garlicy (I can say garlicy!) somewhat crispy delicious Asian inspired chicken dish.
In addition to this dish being fairly simple to make, it is also quite inexpensive. It was about $13 for four generous servings of chicken, rice and broccoli. I am going to shift my focus to some budget friendly meals in the coming days. I want to remind all of my hard working home cooks out there that it’s possible to eat well and not break the bank.
You will need the following:
- 3-4 chicken breasts, diced
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 cup water
- 1/8 cup Sriracha (depending on how spicy you want it, you may choose to lower this to 2-3 Tbsp)
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons corn starch + 2 tablespoons cold water
- optional: crushed red pepper flakes, cooked rice for serving
- In a small-medium sauce pan, combine 1 cup of water, Sriracha, soy sauce, garlic, sugar, and honey and stir. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat. Whisk together corn starch and remaining water until dissolved. Add to sauce, stir until thickened. Reduce heat to low.
- Add diced chicken, garlic powder and corn starch to a large plastic bag. Seal the bag and shake to coat chicken. Drizzle a large pan or skillet with oil over medium heat. Add chicken and sauté until browned and chicken is cooked through. Add the sauce and stir to coat. Sprinkle with crushed pepper flakes if desired and serve over warm rice.
I served this over rice with steamed broccoli. We both enjoyed it very much. It was definitely up there on the spicy scale, but it was Valentine’s Day… all about the heat 😉
Swearing Mom out.
The sauce is pretty even before it’s combined. I love the richness of the red Sriracha with the deep color of the soy sauce!
Just like fried chicken! Toss it around until golden and cooked through.