I’m a breakfast person. I LOVE eggs. I would eat breakfast in place of lunch or dinner without batting an eye. The Rockstar loves Mexican so this quick and easy “breakfast nacho” was a no brainer. Completely flavorful and kinda fun! My kiddos were into it as well! This is one of those recipes that doesn’t have to be from scratch to be just as good. Canned enchilada sauce is bomb and store bought tortilla chips totally did the trick! Feel free to make your own sauce and fry up your own chips if you like, but I had to get my son to basketball practice (and I have a life) so, I did not.
You will need the following:
- 4 cups whole tortilla chips
- 1 can enchilada sauce, whatever is your favorite will do
- 1 1/2 cups shredded jack cheese
- 1/2 cotija cheese (queso fresco)
- 1 dozen eggs
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Dried parsley
- Beat and scramble the eggs until almost done. They will finish cooking in the oven.
- Drizzle a large skillet or saute pan with olive oil and saute the onion and garlic until onion is soft and transparent.
- Pour enchilada sauce into the pan with the onion and garlic. Bring to a low boil, turn down heat.
- Add chips to the pan with the sauce and toss until well coated. Incorporate the scrambled eggs and top with shredded cheese. Sprinkle with fresh or dried parsley and cotija cheese.
- Place in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbling.
Serve this breakfast straight out of the pan immediately. The chips will be the perfect soft/crisp combo and the cheese and eggs will balance out the mild spice of the sauce. Super good, super satisfying, super easy breakfast. Enjoy! Swearing Mom out.
Be sure to under cook your eggs or they may become hard and dry. Cover and set them aside.
This Hatch variety of enchilada sauce is one of my favorites, but any will do.
Take care to coat the chips well. This will ensure that you get that desirable soft crunch after baking.
Sprinkle with the cotija and serve immediately and be prepared for a new family breakfast favorite!