This dinner is so simple I’m almost embarrassed to blog on it! However, the fact that my kiddos loved it so much, makes me feel like I need to share it with you. In an effort to stop buying pre-made and processed, I needed to find a healthy alternative to the box of store bought heat and serve taco shells. Make my own, right? I do enjoy a lightly fried corn tortilla but sometimes I need to not have additional “fried”. Feel me? So, I decided to do a spin on a lettuce wrap and call it a boat! Cause, I have kids, yo! And boats are fun.
You will need the following:
- 1 lb ground turkey (or beef)
- Half of a small onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Taco Seasoning, you can make your own just by using the flavors you like such as; chipotle chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, oregano etc. Feel free to use a packet if you like.
- Whole leaf romaine lettuce
- Refried beans
- Taco “fixins” like, shredded cheese, diced tomatoes and onions, jalepenos, salsa, olives, sour cream, and and and…
- Brown the ground turkey with fresh minced garlic and onion, add seasoning and a bit of water to kind of work it all through. Once the water is cooked off, drain fat and remove from heat. (If you used the tacos seasoning packet follow the directions)
- Heat up refried beans.
- Lay a leaf of romaine on a plate and begin to layer on your taco ingredients.
- You can pick these up like a taco or cut them up and eat them like a taco salad!
Enjoy! Swearing Mom out.