Today I am sharing a Chicken Green Chili Risotto! This is the day 3 of 3 on how to stretch ONE rotisserie chicken into three meals that feed four people! You can find day one right here and day two right here! The goal, other than frugality, is that they not be boring! I really enjoyed this challenge and have a lot more ideas for another rotisserie chicken challenge. Let me know in the comments if you’d like three more meals made from one chicken!
Now, back to risotto. I LOVE risotto! It’s like magic with its dairy free creaminess! A well prepared risotto is a thing of beauty! I think it practically tricks my brain into thinking I’m getting cheese! Getting this creamy effect is time consuming but it’s actually quite simple.
You will need the following:
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 2 cups medium grain arborio or cal rose rice, uncooked
- 8 cups chicken broth which you made according to the instructions in this post 🙂 if not, store bought will do
- 1 small can diced green chilies INCLUDING the juice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Heat chicken broth in a sauce pan until boiling. Reduce heat to a simmer and keep it at a low simmer for the duration of this recipe.
- Drizzle olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Sauté garlic about one minute, add shredded chicken and heat through. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add another drizzle of oil and turn heat down to medium. Add rice and toss it with the oil until coated. Continue to cook while stirring for about one minute more.
- Add about a half a cup of the heated broth to the rice. Stir continuously until the liquid is absorbed. Repeat this step half a cup of broth at a time. This is releasing the starches from the rice which gives risotto the desired creaminess that it’s known for. Don’t rush this step!
- Once you’ve used all eight cups of broth, your rice should be slightly tender but still aldente. Most importantly, it will be thick and creamy. Add the can of diced chilies and the juice along with the shredded chicken. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook a bit more to absorb the juice and heat the chicken through. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
I hope you will try this and let me know how you liked the meals. Swearing Mom out.