As I’m making my way through my Whole30 and am getting bored with my plated fats. I mean, who knew that I’d get tired of avocado in 22 days… or ever? I looked at the options and decided to get creative. My first CSA share from Farmhouse Nashville came and I got a big bundle of beautiful kale. I’m not the type to sit down to a big kale salad. It’s a bit stringy and gritty for my taste. I like it in soups and stews but not so much raw. I decided to make a pesto with it. Something I could slather on a piece of steak or chicken and really make the meal pop! I’ve made pesto a million times but never without cheese. This was the challenge! What I ended up with was a beautifully colored, garlicky, pesto that was just as delicious as any pesto I’ve ever had! Cheese be damned! (Did I really just say that?)
- Two cups of kale, stems removed and tightly packed
- 1 cup fresh basil, tightly packed
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup olive or avocado oil
- 6 cloves of garlic (less if you want a milder taste.
- Salt to taste, I used more than a teaspoon and less than a tablespoon.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and pulse until you reach that smooth grainy texture of pesto.
Toss with your favorite cooked vegetables for a delicious twist, use as a dip for raw veggies or use as a topping for various meats! This versatile and vegan pesto will make you think you’re eating the real thing!