Meatballs! My kids do a legit happy dance when we are having meatballs. I could smoosh them together and flatten them into patties and they immediately become less desirable. KIDS! Amirite? Anyway, I’m headed through my fifth Whole30 round and was wanting something that felt like comfort food. 25 degrees is today’s high and this California girl is seeking to be warmed from the inside! This recipe is Whole30 compliant and should also fit the paleo bill as well. Keto friends, weigh in… could you eat this? Sans potatoes, of course.
Aside from the happiness it brings to my children… let’s be real, the happiness it brings to me to hear the silence left in the absence of their whiny complaints about our dinner menu, is worth more than a thousand of their dirty mouth grins, but I digress. I enjoyed the ease of this meal. start with your meatballs.
Once you’ve got your meatballs made, make your gravy.
Meatballs with Mushroom Gravy
- 1/3 cup almond meal (breadcrumbs if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened nut milk or milk of choice
- 1 large egg
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 of an onion, finely chopped
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons fresh, finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or stock)
- 1 cup nut milk/cream (I use Better Half by Califia Farms) or half n half
- 2 4oz cans sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder in 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In a large bowl, mix the almond meal together with the milk, egg, garlic, salt and pepper. Add in the onion, meat(s) and parsley. Mix well with your hands to combine.
Roll meat into about 24 small balls, or 16 larger balls.
Heat 1 tablespoons of ghee and 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a pan on medium-high heat. Fry meatballs in batches so they don’t stew or simmer. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil.
Pour in the broth (or stock) and remaining ingredients. Bring to a to simmer until thickened and season with salt and pepper t
Place meatballs into the gravy in the pan and serve over mashed potatoes with a fresh green salad.