This sassy little appetizer could have easily made it’s way onto a Fat Tuesday post. In fact, it was part of the very same meal that I featured in my post last Tuesday! It’s definitely not health food, but it certainly was delicious. Very simple and completely satisfying.
You will need the following:
- 4 ears of corn, or 1 can of kernels
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp Chipotle chili powder
- S & P to taste
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper, diced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup grated smoked cheddar
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Cook corn in boiling water as you would for eating from the cob. Once tender, roast over fire if possible. I stuck it straight onto my gas burner and let it get some color on all sides. You could do it on a barbecue or under your broiler if you like. Once slightly charred, slice the kernels from the cob and catch in a bowl. Next, take a spoon and run it along the cob, releasing the corn milk. Discard cobs.
- Combine corn and corn milk, peppers, eggs, water and cheese in a bowl. Set aside.
- Sift together dry ingredients and add to wet ingredients all at once. Stir just until batter is moistened.
- Add oil to a large skillet and heat over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, carefully drop batter by the spoonful into oil. Once golden and crisp, flip and repeat. Remove to a paper towel to drain.
- Serve immediately.
Mix 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 3 Tbsp. dijon mustard, 2 Tbsp Sriracha sauce and 1 Tbsp. Chipotle chili powder together in a bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Voila! Super simple and satisfying down home appetizer. Enjoy!