The first time I ever made popcorn balls was with my girlfriend Tennille. She lost a battle to breast cancer nearly two years ago. So, now every memory I have is priceless and re-living them is beautiful. Join me while I re-live this one 🙂
Tennille had kids long before me. Her children, Christopher and Juliette are teenagers now, but when we made popcorn balls, Chris was 4 and Jett was 2 and I thought she’d lost her damned mind for wanting to make popcorn balls with them. It seemed like it would be a dangerously molten project full of gooey messes. Much to the contrary, it was extraordinarily simple! Nothing got stuck in anyone’s hair, nobody went to the emergency room with third degree burns and we had delicious popcorn balls! This is one of many examples, where I should have trusted her more. Oh, Tennille… How much I miss you.
Make these! Make them with your best girls and their kiddos, make them with your kiddos or with your best girls… Most importantly, make the time to do it together because our time is not unlimited and can be gone in a blink.
You will need the following:
- 10 cups popped popcorn
- 5 Tbsp salted butter
- 10 oz. bag mini marshmallows
- 1 tsp sea salt
- In a heavy bottomed stock pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Once melted, add vanilla, salt and marshmallows stirring constantly until combined and melted.
- Remove from heat. Put popcorn in a large mixing bowl and pour marshmallow mixture evenly over the top.
- Immediately begin to toss with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
- Once thoroughly mixed, grease your hands (I just sprayed on coconut oil. Butter or non-stick spray would work as well) and begin forming your balls. Make them the size of a muffin and serve in cupcake papers.
Just like that! Easy peasy lemon squeazy!