When I have a Bloody Mary, I want it to look like a salad and taste like a steak. Steak and salad, you say? Why, yes. Yes I do. This trend of food in and on the Bloody Mary is not a bad idea! I’ve seen bacon fairly commonly used in the past few years, as well as larger, prepared food items such as pizzas and sliders! I suppose if you can skewer it, you can make it a Bloody Mary condiment. I am all about the multi task and if I can buy a cocktail that doubles as lunch, I can see the value in that. I however, am going to stick to a more traditional style. It will taste like a steak but there will not be a kabob involved!
The key ingredient to any Bloody Mary (assuming that tomato juice is a given) is Worcestershire Sauce. I put a ton of it in my mix. Seriously, do not skimp here. I also kicked it up a bit by using this unique craft green chile vodka by St George. It’s super good and tastes like food. Absolute Peppar would be a great alternative.
You will need the following:
- 1 cup tomato juice. Regular juice is better than a mix here. We are looking to control the flavors.
- 4 1oz shots of Vodka. These are to make 2 large drinks often served in pint glasses. If you choose smaller cocktail glasses, use 2-3 shots.
- 4 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp classic Tabasco
- 1/2 Tbsp celery salt plus more for the rim.
- 1 lime, you will use the juice of half in the mix and the other half as wedges for garnish.
- 1 dash black pepper
- Garnishes! My favorite garnishes are celery, stuffed olives (I used blue cheese stuffed here), pickled green beans, asparagus or okra and a wedge of lime.
- Add all ingredients except garnishes and vodka to a shaker and mix vigorously. Set aside.
- Pour a bit of celery salt into a saucer and wet the rim of the glass with a lime wedge. Gently run the rim through the salt. Fill with ice.
- Measure vodka over two glasses and top off with the Bloody Mary mix. Leave an inch of glass unfilled to accommodate your garnishes.
- Give it a quick stir with a long spoon and add garnishes.
Voila! A fantastically perfect Bloody Mary! Tastes like a steak, looks like a salad. Perfect for a hair of the dog moment and whatever else ails ya! Enjoy! Swearing Mom out.