My oldest is turning ten next week and we are having what will likely be his last childhood birthday party. We’ll still celebrate of course, but he’s let me know that a few guys, a movie and a trip to the skatepark will do. Lemme think about it… Ok! You mean I can skip rsvp’s, screaming kids, goody bags et al? Sign me up! Since it’s the last one, I wanted to do something cool but I didn’t want to spend a mint. So, we are having a camp out! It’s his first real sleepover and he’s excited! We’re having a scavenger hunt, a cookout and what sleepover would be complete without ghost stories?!?!
Hot dogs and baked beans are on the menu and we’ll have popcorn and caramel corn up for grabs. But for the birthday “cake”, I wanted to do something cool and camp out themed. I came up with the following dessert and it did not disappoint! A moist and chewy brownie, topped with a toasted marshmallow, speared with a graham cracker! It’s a cupcake’s sassy answer to the average s’more.
You will need the following:
- 1 box of brownie mix. Yeah, I said box. So what? I’m busy and I’m not trying to reinvent the wheel here. There’s a lot going on with this treat and I’m going for basic brownie. If you have a recipe that you love and want to do it from scratch, I bow to you 🙂
- 1 large (camp fire sized) marshmallow per brownie
- 1 rectangle of graham cracker
- Kitchen torch or broiler
- Prepare brownies according to packaging and pour them into greased muffin tins. You can use papers instead of greasing the tin if you like, but the brownies can hold their own without a paper liner.
- Next, poke a toothpick into the corner edge of a marshmallow. Use the toothpick to secure the marshmallow to the top of the brownie.
- Once you have your marshmallows in place, carefully toast them with a kitchen torch or by putting them under the broiler. If you choose the broiler method, watch them like a hawk to keep them from burning.
- As soon as your marshmallows are toasted, remove the toothpick and firmly press the corner of a graham cracker through the marshmallow stabbing it into the brownie. This will secure your topping.
That’s it! All you have to do is arrange them on a platter and wait for your hungry campers to dig in! Happy camping! Swearing Mom out.