We were grocery shopping and my oldest, Cosmo, pointed out these frozen breakfast sandwiches. “Can we get these? I’m sick of oatmeal.” For a moment, I considered this but then I looked at the ingredients (egg product?) and then I looked at the price! So… no. I consoled him with the idea that we could make our own ahead of time if he was down to help. He was and we did. The result is delicious breakfast sandwiches that we can feel good about. For about ten dollars we made 12 breakfast sandwiches. The ingredients are eggs, cheese, bacon and whole wheat English muffins. High in protein and satisfying with fewer than 300 calories. You can’t beat that with a stick!
NOTE: I am planning to keep these sealed and in the fridge for this week’s use. I will report back if that is problematic. If you would like to freeze them, I would suggest either vacuum sealing or wrapping in waxed paper and then into zip top bags.
You will need the following:
- 12 eggs
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar
- 12 strips of bacon, cut in half and cooked the way you like it.
- 12 english muffins
- Two children with clean hands
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spread the bacon strips out evenly. Place in a 425 degree oven for about 15 minutes or to the doneness that you prefer. If lining the pan evenly isn’t your thing, try a happy face!
Enzo is hoping for a dropped piece of bacon!
- Crack all of the eggs into a bowl, add the milk and beat until combined.
- Turn your waffle iron on high and allow to come to full heat. We cooked our eggs in the waffle iron, this is not required, but I found that the triangles (we have a round waffle iron) are the perfect size for the English muffin. Once fully heated, add about a half cup of the beaten eggs and sprinkle about a half cup of cheese on top. Close the iron and let cook. It will puff up a bit. When the cheese is crisp (YUM) the top will release easily. Remove the waffle to a plate and continue until you’ve used the eggs and cheese. You should end up with six egg waffles, enough for 12 sandwiches.
- Toast your muffins. Next, assemble! Muffin, egg triangle, bacon, egg triangle, muffin, repeat! Feel free to add mustard or mayo or butter if you like, we found that these sandwiches didn’t need it! Just heat in the mircrowave when ready to eat and voila!