This might be the most complex and sophisticated cocktail that I have made to date. I read an article about herbaceous gins and kept thinking about one in particular called St. George. An extremely botanical gin, St. George Botanivore is made with everything but the kitchen sink! I would have an easier time listing what’s NOT in it… I kid, of course, but this gin is full of floral, citrus and spiced notes that take it beyond the usual “pine tree” flavor of gin. At around $30 per bottle, it’s not cheap, but we’ve already decided that we prefer quality over quantity when it comes to finer craft cocktails, right? It’s a good thing too, because we also use St. Germain, a lovely and sweet elder flower liqueur (see what I did there? Bothe liquors with the “St.”?!?!) in this as well, and that’s another pricey spirit. I think I dreamed this drink… or maybe it was in that gossamer period upon waking JUST before you’ve actually awoken. Either way, I knew what I was after. There would be herbs, and spices and citrus and it was going to be crisp an lovely… I knew it.
You will need the following:
- St George Botanivore Gin (realistically, you can use other herbaceous gins, I just developed this for St George specifically, but it’s your party!)
- St, Germain Elder Flower Liqueur.
- Pink grapefruit, half a grapefruit plus garnish per two drinks
- Fresh Rosemary, a small sprig for garnish
- Juniper Berries 2-4 per beverage, these were available at Von’s. I’ve also seen them at whole foods and you can def get them on Amazon. Skipping this ingredient will NOT ruin the drink, though. Use them if you can.
- Sparkling water, unflavored
- In a shaker glass, add the juice of half a pink grapefruit, 2 shots gin, 1 shot St Germain and give it a swirl.
- Pour evenly over two ice filled glasses and top off wit the sparkling water (Club soda, seltzer, whatev)
- Garnish with a sprig or rosemary, a small slice of grapefruit and a few juniper berries. Note: before adding the berries, roll them around in your fingers a bit to release the oils.
Make this and impress the shit out of your friends. Swearing Mom out.