It’s New Year’s Day and I’m on the upswing from a pretty miserable cold. Still, The Rockstar is returning from his NYE gig in Virginia Beach and since he won’t be here for his birthday in a few days, I wanted him to come home to some goodness. So… here’s some cornbread and beans, bitch. It is New Year’s Day after all. THAT is what we eat.
I upped the ante on the cornbread, though! The last few times I’ve made my “go to” recipe, I haven’t been entirely satisfied. So, I made a few adjustments and let me tell you, this shit KILLED. I also had the pleasure of teaching this recipe to my friend Folake’s daughter Nura. It was nice to have an interested kiddo in the kitchen with me 🙂
- 1 cup all purpose flour, leveled
- 1 cup medium grind yellow cornmeal
- 1/8 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, lightly beat the eggs and all the whipping cream.
- Combine with the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated.
- Add cheese and mix once more taking care not to over work your batter.
- Add the butter to an 8″ cast iron skillet or an 8″ square metal pan and pop it into the oven until melted.
- Remove from oven and pour your batter in. Smooth it evenly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Trust me. This is a recipe that will stick. The outer crust is rich and buttery and the inner bread is decadent enough for this fat queen. Swearing Mom out.