Approximately 35 saltine crackers
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/8 cup maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
one 12 ounce bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
6 strips bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a standard cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spray it very well with cooking spray. Do not try to make this without using foil; you will hate yourself.
- Place saltine crackers in a single layer, covering the bottom of the pan.
- In a saucepan on the stovetop, combine butter, syrup and sugar and bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Once you’ve reached a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 3 to 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir frequently and avoid scorching.
- Once slightly thickened, remove from the heat, wait 30 seconds, add the vanilla extract and stir.
- Pour mixture over the prepared pan with the saltine crackers.
- Bake in for 5- 7 minutes, or until toffee/liquid becomes bubbly.
- After removing the pan from the oven, let it rest for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle on the chocolate chips and crumbled bacon. Wait 3 to 5 minutes, letting the chips soften and begin to melt. Once soft, spread chocolate and bacon evenly over crackers.
- Let cool until hardened. Break into pieces the size of your choice. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 4 months.