I have had at least four versions of this appetizer. Some had sauces, others had different cheeses, but this one has goat cheese because “Pig Dates a Bleu Cheese Crumble” doesn’t have quite the same ring. It’s delicious and easy and will definitely be the first thing to go at your gathering.
You will need the following:
- 12oz whole Medjool Dates, pitted and cut in half the short way.
- 4oz soft goat cheese, room temperature
- 1 pound bacon, cut in half. Don’t buy thick cut for this. The regular cut bacon is better suited for this application.
- Stuff each date half generously with goat cheese.
- Wrap each stuffed date with half a strip of bacon and secure with a toothpick
- Arrange on a greased baking sheet and place in a 425 degree oven for 20 minutes or until crisp.
- Remove to a paper towel for draining. Plate and serve.
This is so ridiculously simple, there is really no reason to not do it. For a slightly more fabulous version, drizzle with a balsamic reduction.