So, one week down! I feel pretty good about it too! I made a cognizant effort to plan for my week and to log in to My Fitness Pal every day. I stayed within the calories allotted and I exercised each day. I had initially planned to work my way into running again, but I took a pretty hard fall and decided to take it slow while my bruises healed. I walked briskly, though! My efforts resulted in a 3.5lb loss and I am happy with that!
I had a few people this week say, “Hey, poutine isn’t healthy!” and “That cake looked great, but what about your diet?”. This is how I feel about that, I really enjoy cooking or creating things that are inspiring to me at the moment. My mind is very fluid like that. Constantly floating from one thing to the next. “Oooohhh, this cake looks marvelous!” and “Yes! I LOVE shortbread!” and “What a cute place card holder! Look! Shiny object!” I am going to continue to make the things that inspire me, as the inspiration comes. I’m also going to hold myself accountable for how much of it I shove in my face! So, now you know 🙂
Along with my progress report, I also wanted to share a very simple salad with you. It’s decadent enough that you feel as though you’re treating yourself, but is chalk full of nutrients and flavor!
You will need the following:
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 2 slices bacon, crisped and crumbled
- 2 slices red onion, halved and separated
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds, dry roasted
- 2-4 Tbsp. blue cheese, crumbles or slices
- Balsamic, mustard vinaigrette
- Add a small amount of olive oil to a hot pan, and add onions. Saute until tender.
- Put spinach into hot pan, sauté with onions for about 20 seconds and remove immediately from heat. Divide between two salad plates.
- With a spoon, drizzle on the dressing and top with blue cheese, nuts and bacon crumbles. Serve warm.
Pour 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/8 cup olive oil, 2 Tbsp. honey and 2 Tbsp. dijon mustard into a small mason jar. Seal tightly and shake vigorously. You can store this in the fridge for up to two weeks.
I hope you enjoy this deliciously simple salad and that you will share any tips, tricks or progress in your journey to better health with myself and my readers. Enjoy!