Well, that was a mouth full! Seriously, though… I couldn’t think of a better title or a single flavor that I could leave out of it! This would be a phenomenal starter dish to share or a savory breakfast meal. Adding green chiles to corn bread is not a new idea, but waffling them, may very well be! If not, at least I’ve got my schnazzy sauce to set this dish apart from others!
You will need the following:
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 small can Ortega or hatch diced chiles
- 1 8oz container creme fraiche (you may sub sour cream, but the creme fraiche is far superior for this)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- the juice of one lime
- In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and stir until just combined, do not over mix.
- Add the can of chiles and combine.
- Cook them on a hot, greased waffle iron as you would regular waffles. Place them in a low oven if not serving them right away.
Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix well. Allow the flavors to develop together for a few hours if possible.
You can serve up an entire waffle if you like, but I served half and spooned a generous amount of the creme fraiche on top. This portion size would be an ideal appetizer for two. I really enjoyed this recipe. It had a nice south-western flair to it and was just special enough with the creme fraiche to feel kinda fancy, yo! I hope you enjoy it!