Every year when it’s time to decorate for Christmas, I turn on the movie Elf, I gather my family and make myself a hot buttered rum. This is one of my traditions! There is something about un-boxing my cherished Christmas treasures between sips of a warm mug of spiced Christmas cheer, that really rings in the season for me!
Imagine my disappointment when I opened my cupboard to nothing more than a few drops of spiced rum… I was literally pouting. The Rockstar walked into the kitchen and saw my pout. He probably would have gone to the store for me but we were both in Jammies already! I decided that Sailor Jerry’s failure to appear was not going to come between me and my tradition, damn it! So, I got creative. The result was so good that I may or may not have had more than one! Upon confirmation that this beverage was, indeed delicious, Michael suggested the name “Hot Buttered Bitch”. Ummm… do you know me, or what? Hot Buttered Bitch it is and beyond delicious she was!
You will need the following:
- 2 sticks salted butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 Tblsp vanilla bean paste (sub with 2 tsp vanilla extract if needed)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg (freshly ground if possible!)
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- The zest of half an orange (or one whole cutie tangerine because that’s what I had on hand!)
- Vanilla vodka
- In a stand mixer, beat the butter, sugar, vanilla, spices, and orange zest until thoroughly combined and creamy. This is your batter! Easy peasy!
- Jar it up and place in the fridge until ready to use.
- In a mug, add two heaping tablespoons full of batter. Top it off with 2/3 cup boiling water. Stir until batter is melted.
- Add one shot of vanilla vodka, half a shot of Cointreau and stir.
Drink it while it’s hot! Enjoy a cup (or two) of cheer! Serving it at a holiday party is super easy if you make a sign with the recipe so that it becomes a DIY beverage and you are free to mix and mingle! Enjoy! Swearing Mom out.