I had this idea to do a sort of healthy nacho bake. My big kid loves nachos and well, so do I. We needed to health it up a bit, though. The idea was to serve it up atop lettuce and make a saladish concoction. The Rock Star went to the store for me. He’s always mocking my ingredients and will often quip “where’s the eye of newt?”. He’s a regular comedian… *eyeroll* Well, on this particular day, I made the mistake of asking for “corn chips” when what I actually wanted was “tortilla chips”. Fuck, man! They’re made from corn and are, after all, chips! Anyway, he bought Fritos… which I would have called by name if I had wanted them. What are you gonna do, though? When life hands you Fritos, you make frito pie.
You will need the following:
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans, drained
- 1 family sized bag of Fritos NOT tortilla chips!
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon smokey paprika
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- S & P to taste
- Sauté ground turkey and onion until onion is soft add tomatoes and beans.
- Add seasoning and continue to cook until heated through.
- Turn off the heat. Remove meat and bean mixture from pan. Add half of the chips to the bottom of the skillet and top with the meat mixture. Sprinkle in the cheese and the remaining chips.
- Pop the whole skillet into a 375 degree oven for ten minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
You can serve this with sour cream and hot sauce and should definitely add a salad because this shit is NOT a balanced meal! Swearing Mom out.