The Caracara orange is so delicious! It’s not as deep red inside as the blood orange but is far more reddish than a navel. They are extremely juicy and have an almost creamy flavor to them… just a touch richer than the average orange. When they are in season I always buy them to eat, this is the first cocktail I’ve done with them, though. The Rock Star and I collaborated on a project last night (coming soon!) that is a new and exciting endeavor for us. It warranted a mid-week cocktail, which for me, is highly irregular! I usually save my liver for the weekend when I can properly cheers my bitches! Whichever day of the week you prefer, this one is a winner!
You will need the following:
- 4 oranges, juiced. I used Caracara but navel would be just fine.
- 5 Tbsp HEAPING brown sugar
- Bourbon, I used my old standby, Maker’s Mark.
- Orange sparkling water
- In a small sauce pan, combine the juice of four oranges and the brown sugar. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. You are basically making an orange simple syrup.Allow it to simmer for a few minutes, remove from heat and let cool.
- In a shaker glass, add three shots of bourbon and two shots of the orange simple syrup. Give it a swirl and pour evenly over two ice filled glasses (DOF sized). Top off with the orange sparkling water, stir and enjoy!